- Tired of your 9-5 job?
- Not feeling fulfilled in your current routine?
- Eager to gain professional work experience, travel, meet new people, and experience other cultures?
- Trying to pay off those ridiculous student loans? ⠀⠀
What is TEFL?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
TEFL stands for “Teaching English as a Foreign Language.” You will be certified to teach English to speakers of other languages. AND you are not required to be fluent in their native language. TEFL’s method is to teach students English, using ONLY English. It’s incredibly effective compared to traditional language teaching methods.
After plenty of research, I chose to get certified with International TEFL Academy (ITA). In just 4-weeks, you can receive a certification in TEFL and teach almost anywhere in the world. NO teaching experience is required. All you need is your English speaking skills. You can get certified online from the comfort of your home or join one of their many in-person courses, like I did in Barcelona with International TEFL Academy.
🌎 ITA is the best academy out there, with thousands of trainees teaching English abroad in 80 different countries! From day 1 of the course, I knew I made the right decision.
10 Reasons Why You Should Get Certified with International TEFL Academy
- ITA is a highly reputable academy
- You will receive the highest certification at an affordable price
- Recruiters are there for you at anytime to answer your questions about the course before enrolling
- (For the in-person TEFL course) Settling in to a brand new country and finding a place to live can be very overwhelming. I was so relieved to find out that ITA arranges accommodation for you if you wish!
- ITA offers their students the best resources and support
- Trainees receive assistance with job placement
- Connections with schools or online programs around the world that specifically seek to hire ITA graduates
- You will join a huge alumni network
- You will be taught by some of the best trainers in the field! ITA instructors are very experienced and knowledgeable.
- Your certification NEVER expires
What can I do with my TEFL qualification?
With a certification in TEFL, you can teach in public/private schools, language academies, and universities around the world or make your own hours and become a private tutor. Many ESL Teachers like myself go on to teach English online. Teaching online gives you the flexibility to make your own schedule and freedom to travel and be based from anywhere. There are online teaching opportunities for those with and without a college degree. Click here to learn more about teaching English online.
How can I prepare for my TEFL certification course?
– Save $ to cover start-up costs: You’ll want to save some money before leaving to cover expenses during the course, such as transportation, food, entertainment, etc. It would be a good idea to have enough saved for after the course as well to cover other expenses such as an apartment deposit or a cellphone plan. (It was recommended that I save around $2,000 before moving to Barcelona for my TEFL course)
– DO the Grammar Module: Prior to the start of your course, ITA will email you a link to take their Pre-Course Grammar Module. I found this to be super helpful and I highly recommend that you take advantage of this resource. The module offers a very clear review of grammar points accompanied by brief (non-graded) quizzes. You don’t have to memorize all grammar points perfectly (even the best teachers don’t!) but you do want to review some basic concepts because once you’re in class, more time is spent on how to teach grammar rather than going over the grammar points in detail.
– Think about where you might want to teach: With a TEFL certificate, you can teach in public/private schools, language academies, and universities around the world or you can teach online. Click here to learn more about teaching English online. I highly recommend you check out ITA’s Country Chart. This chart will answer all your questions about teaching English in Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. You can find country-specific information on salaries, visa requirements, hiring seasons, start up costs, and more!
– What are your financial goals? Are you hoping to save $ or just make ends meet? In places like China, South Korea, and the U.A.E., TEFL teachers can expect to save anywhere from $1,000-$5,000, with the most savings possible in the U.A.E. Some schools in China, Japan, South Korea, or the Middle East will also provide teachers with free accommodation for the duration of their contract (some will even cover your flight costs to & from home!) Check out ITA’s Country Chart for more info.
– Take a deep breath and don’t worry! Like many other people, I worried about money, finding a job, and surviving the 4-week TEFL course. But there’s no need to worry because you’re in good hands with ITA. Everything will fall into place. They offer excellent resources and try their best to make the course manageable. If you follow these steps and try to prepare for your TEFL course, then you’re going to do great!
– Remember, it’s so worth it in the end! There’s so much of the world to see, adventure to seek, things to learn, places to explore, people to meet, and life to LIVE! If you feel stuck in a mundane routine, know that there are ways to get out of it. Teaching English abroad is how I got out of mine. With a TEFL certification, the opportunities are endless and the work experience is incredible!
I still have questions!
Click HERE to receive a FREE TEFL brochure and speak with an advisor!
If you enroll using this link, you will also receive a FREE copy of the textbook needed for your TEFL class (originally $45 USD!)